steps from the back of the pack.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Vulcan Run 2010

Last night was terrible.  I didn't go to bed until 2 am.  Rollins decided that he did not want to be in his crib.  I tried many times to lay him down and the second he felt me let go of him he started crying.  On any other night I would have let him cried it out.  But this weekend we have company and that's just not right.  So, I let him sleep on my chest for the first time until I finally couldn't do it anymore.  Around 2 am I tried again and he didn't notice.  Sadly I was so wound up from trying not to roll over and stay half awake that I couldn't go to sleep.  I was also anticipating Hank's arrival from a gig.  I think I fell asleep around 2:30.  At that point there was no hope in me racing.  I was exhausted and it just wasn't going to happen.

But it did.  And I'm oh so glad!  I ran the first mile slow and steady.  That was not my plan but pride got the best of me.  I felt great until around mile 4.  Mile 5 I started feeling really good and that gave me my best mile as far as splits and pace.  Overall I'm pleased with the race.  I remember when I look at that time that I am running on a bummed leg and not to get sad about it.  I was just so grateful to be running.

Vulcan Run 2010
Weather: 34 degrees, seriously awesome!
Distance: 6.2
Average Pace: 11:01
Total Time: 1:07
Calories Burned: 582
On iTunes: Wolf Like Me by TV On The Radio

I hope to race and beat my time in a couple more weeks for a Thanksgiving 10K!  Hopefully my injury will no longer be an issue and I'll be back at full speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment